Cleveland East Ledge Light
The beautiful, white lighthouse at Cleveland Ledge is a rare example of an Art Moderne light—the only one of its kind in New England, as well as New England’s very last commissioned light having finished construction in 1943. Roughly two miles from the nearest shore, Cleveland East Ledge Lighthouse rests atop Cleveland Ledge, 8 miles from the Cape Cod Canal.
Both the Light and the ledge are named after President Grover Cleveland, who, following his second election in 1892, began the practice of making his Gray Gables mansion in Bourne, into what he would refer to as his "summer White House". The vacationing president would often spend time fishing in Buzzards Bay near the ledge.
The lighthouse was purchased by a private owner in 2012 who is going through the permitting process to convert the lighthouse into a vacation home. After renovations, the lighthouse may even be opened up to “lighthouse junkies” for overnight stays. The new owner has described the lighthouse as a four-story structure that has four bedrooms, one bathroom with a bathtub, subway tiles and original light fixtures, a living room with a wood burning stove, a galley kitchen with pantry, an office, and of course the lighthouse tower. The spiral staircase ascending the tower includes two landings with enough space for couches and reading lamps.